- Living & Visiting
- Mineral Springs
Home to several mineral springs along the Sulphur Creek branch of the Lampasas River, the springs continue to be a main tourist attraction for locals and visitors from afar. History shows that in the mid-1850's, Moses Hughes brought his family and ailing wife to Lampasas to bathe in and drink the healing water of the springs, which restored her health. In the late 19th century, Lampasas became a popular tourist attraction and encampment when the town gained fame as a health resort. Visitors traveled from all over Texas to bathe in the healing waters, with many even getting baptized. The reputed curative powers of the waters helped Lampasas recover from a tense era of floods, fires and feuds following the Civil War.
By 1911 the town’s Hancock Springs Park included a swimming pool and a bathhouse. During World War II, soldiers stationed at nearby Camp Hood came to the park’s Hostess House for dances. Today, that restored structure hosts special events, the sulphur springs flow, and the stone walls of the park’s bathhouse have been preserved.
Each July, Lampasas celebrates its healing-waters heritage with the week long Spring Ho Festival. Spring Ho continues to be the biggest annual event in Lampasas. The festival is completely supported by local volunteers and draws visitors from around the area. The week of festivities includes a beauty pageant, talent contest, fishing derby, county fair, parade, dance, BBQ cook off and much more. You can also participate in a 10k, 5k, or 1 mile run!
Located at 501 E. North Ave, several blocks east of Key Avenue at the entrance to Campbell Park.
Hanna Springs was a famous health spa and resort of early Lampasas. These Sulphur Springs were first exploited by John Hanna, member of a locally prominent family. Hundreds came to camp and take the healing waters. As reputation of area grew, the Central Texas Town Co. was formed to promote park, 1884. A convention hall was built, and the 1892 State Democratic Convention, meeting here, voted to support Grover Cleveland for U.S. President and nominated James Hogg for governor. (both men won.) Hanna Hall was later converted into an opera house. The resort closed after 1900.
In recent years, the City of Lampasas built a public swimming pool near the spring. Also in the area, is the Hanna Springs Sculpture Garden at Campbell Park that features walking trails, covered pavillion, and public art around the spring. To see the spring, turn east on North Avenue, and continue to the swimming pool parking lot, which is next to the sculpture garden.
Located at 1600 U.S. Highway 281 South, near the Sulphur Creek bridge.
The area around the springs contained the renowned Park Hotel, an 1880's summer resort for visitors to Hancock Park that offered 200 guest rooms and a French chef. The hotel burned down in 1895, and the bathhouses were replaced in 1911. In the 1930's, the City of Lampasas became to owner of Hancock Springs, and the City continues to maintain the swimming pool and Hancock Park Golf Course. The free-flowing swimming pool was constructed in the early 1900s, fed by Marble Falls. Since 1886, about seventy gallons of water have been coursing through the channel each second. Hancock Springs Pool is the oldest spring-fed pool in Texas, and remains a constant 69 degrees all year round. Because of its comfortable temperature and sheer uniqueness, the swim area consistently ranks among the top summertime tourist attractions. The historic Hostess House overlooking Hancock Springs was restored in the 1990's, and the two-story building remains a popular venue for special gatherings. In 2023, the city restored the Hancock Springs bathhouse.
Located at 100 N. Hackberry Street, just across Hackberry from Hanna Springs.
This spring is located east of Hanna Springs in Cooper Springs Nature Park. To see the spring, use the Hackberry Street entrance to the nature park. Cooper Spring Nature Park is a series of trails on approximately 23-acres dedicated to the preservation and encouragement of wildlife. Volunteers have cleared invasive plants and sowed native varieties to create a space of welcoming to birds and butterflies as well as humans. Free of charge, this park is a labor of love that offers a beautiful slice of unspoiled nature in downtown Lampasas.
Located on private property, and also known as Hughes Spring and Bradley Spring, it is small in comparison to Hanna Springs and Hancock Springs. A historical marker can be found east of Lampasas on U.S. Hwy 190.
This spring is located in Sulphur Creek in the southern part of Hancock Park Golf Course. Some believe the spring's name may refer to the water color. Gold Spring comes up from the bottom of the creek bed and cannot be seen from the shore.