Under normal circumstances, TWC requires the following to file for unemployment:
- Last employer’s business name and address
- First and last dates you worked for your previous employer
- Number of hours worked and pay rate if you worked this week
- Information related to your normal wage
- Alien Registration Number (if not a U.S. citizen or national)
- Unemployment insurance (UI) - Department of Labor (DOL) program provides unemployment benefits to eligible workers
TWC will make a determination and mail a decision explaining whether or not you are eligible for unemployment benefits.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act passed in Congress and signed by President Trump allocated $1 billion for emergency Unemployment Insurance (UI) grants to states.
- It also requires states to temporarily ease eligibility requirements during this time, including waiving work search requirements and waiting periods, and relieving benefit charges for claimants and employers impacted.